A while back, Rochelle from Adventures from Elle wrote a post about some bucket list items she wants to accomplish before turning 30. I was inspired by some of her goals (e.g. visit Cuba, see the Northern Lights, own a home…) that I likewise would like to achieve, and I felt compelled to give my own take on the “30 Before 30” bucket list. After all, I only have two-and-a-half more years before I hit the big 3-0!
I present to you the 30 goals I hope to hit by age 30. Some are travel-related, others of personal lifestyle. Some are realistic, others idealistic…but one can dream! Should I end up accomplishing some on the list, I will strike them out in this post (expect updates). Here they are!
30 Before 30 Bucket List
1. Visit the Ukraine. Besides hitting the major cities of Kyiv, Lviv, and Odessa, I would love to explore the smaller sites like the Tunnel of Love and Chernivtsi.
2. Hit at least half of the US states (i.e. 25). I’m currently on 14, so I think it’s feasible!
3. Explore Singapore, including its airport (with the world’s tallest indoor waterfall), and eat good food at the Hawker Centres.
4. Go to Hong Kong to get incredible dim sum, explore the urban jungle, and hike up to the Tian Tan Buddha.
5. Check out the Uyuni Salt Flat in Bolivia, especially during its rainy season (December to April).
6. Wander the streets of Buenos Aires, Argentina and have good steak and Malbec in the process.
7. Journey to the Middle East for the sand dunes of Oman, Petra in Jordan, and the cosmopolitan flair of the UAE and Qatar.
8. Put enough on down payment to own my own home, however big or small it is (because prices are so expensive in Los Angeles, I’ll be happy if I can hit at least a quarter of the down payment!).
9. Learn how to rock climb.
10. Monetize my blog to assist others who desire to travel the world on a 9-5 job.
11. Train and run more 5Ks. Continue running, no matter how busy life gets.
12. Revisit cities like London, New York, Saint Petersburg, Shanghai… I had short and/or lackluster experiences the first time, and I’d like to give them a second chance!
13. Road trip the US. At the moment, I’m brainstorming ideas for ones in the Midwest (encompassing the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois) and the South (the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana). Not an easy feat, because the US is huge!
14. Return to New Mexico for the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in October, as well as head south to check out the White Sands National Park near Alamogordo.
15. Dip my toes into the wonders of Southeast Asia– Malaysia, Cambodia, and Indonesia are at the top of my list.
16. Reach 60 countries. Currently on 52, so it’s possible!
17. Experience the Northern Lights.
18. Learn Spanish and Portuguese; I would like to up my multilingual game!
19. Visit another of the Seven New Wonders of the World. So far, I’ve seen three: the Roman Colosseum, Machu Picchu, and the Great Wall of China. Realistically, it would have to be Chichen Itza in Mexico, as that’s the closest one to me geographically.
20. Take three months to a year off from work to travel. Doesn’t matter where.
21. Find a job that allows me to transfer overseas, even if only temporary. I’d love to live in another country again!
22. Visit Antarctica (and see my penguins!).
23. Venture around the otherworldly landscape of Patagonia.
24. Train for and do a hike to one of the highest mountains in the world (looking at you, Mt. Kilimanjaro!).
25. Travel to more countries in Africa. I especially am interested in Egypt, Namibia, and South Africa.
26. Rent a summer home in France, ideally in the south or southwest. Those in the Luberon and Charente regions appeal to me, as they’re the laid-back countryside perfect for a peaceful, idle summer.
27. Discover and learn more about the history and culture of Central Asia, especially Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan.
28. Venture to more natural parks in the world– the Rocky Mountains in Canada, Gorges du Verdon in France, and Gorbea Natural Park in Spain come to mind.
29. Take a ride at the End of the World swing in Ecuador.
30. Hike around the Lake District of England.
What do YOU hope to achieve by age 30 (or in your next milestone)? Let me know!